Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Expectation, expectation, expectation

This morning when Steve Perry explained why African American male has low high school graduation rate (NY close to 28 %), he considered low expectations to be the main cause. His explanation is that when teachers and school admins expect less of the students, the students will tend to act the way as they are expected. Based on Vroom's expectancy theory of motivation, other's expectations lead you to fullfill the type of performances/attitudes others expect of you. Now I am a mom and for the first time, feel like I am learning what education is about (despite my PhD in Education...how ironic...), I can't agree more with Perry. Andrew, mommy very possibly can't promise you enough tuition to go to Harvard, but this mommy can guarantee: I will always (okay, maybe sometimes remember to) be proud of you. I will alwsys expect the best from you. Remember always be true to all endeavors.

No comments: